Box Hill United U/15 boys’ head coach Reda Benhammoud takes on the quickfire questions in this edition of our ‘Coaches Q&A’ series.
1) What is your favourite motivational quote as a coach?
Football is a collective game in which most people think individually. When you find people who think collectively, you are always a lot closer to winning – Diego Simeone (former Argentina international)
2) What other languages do you speak apart from English?
French and Arabic.
3) What’s your favourite cuisine and why?
I am originally from Morocco, which is a famous country of unique dishes and various spices. So, Moroccan cuisine is my favourite. I am knowledgeable about this way of cooking, as I have worked as a chef at Four Seasons Hotel.
4) How would you summarise the BHU U/15 boys’ 2020 JBNPL season so far, with 9 rounds completed before the season went into a second lockdown?
The season has been phenomenal so far and I am very proud of my team’s performance. During the first lockdown, I kept in touch with the players through weekly Zoom meetings, performing training programs. [It] made them more involved and impatiently waiting to go back and play again.
Their return was full of energy and hunger to win and proved that they did their best while they were isolated. We have won eight games out of nine and we have got up the ladder from fourth position before lockdown to the second.
One of the players’ performances that impressed me the most, is the improvement in playing as a team [and] having a collective mindset that made them support each other and led to great wins.
5) Favourite weather condition to play football in?
I prefer when it is between 20 to 25 degrees [Celsius] with a nice breeze and cloudy.